Job Title: Regional HR Manager - East Division
Reports To: Director of Human Resources & Compliance (DHRC)
Direct Reports: Senior HR Generalist (Corporate Recruiter)
FLSA Status: Exempt
Position Status: Permanent, Full-time
Location: Irvine, CA
Work Schedule: Monday-Friday 6:00AM-3:00PM; subject to change based on project assignments/deadlines
Base Salary Range: Commensurate with Experience
Travel: up to 25-40% of the time out of state travel
About Westport Properties/US Storage Centers
Westport Properties manages US Storage Centers (“USSC”) which is a top 10 Self Storage Management company in the country with over 130 properties and operating in multi-states under management with over 30 million rentable square feet. Founded in 1985, we have built a premier management platform in the industry. Since its inception, USSC has helped thousands of its customers organize their lives by delivering convenient and affordable self-storage solutions.
Summary Role: Regional Human Resources Manager (East Division)
Westport Properties continues to grow rapidly and we are seeking a Regional Human Resources Manager (East Division) with a strong background in Human Resources Management and has superior knowledge in the daily Human Resources functional operations and be able to oversee the HR Generalist function. This role assesses, makes recommendations, and implements policies and programs in such areas as recruitment, onboarding, employment law/compliance, human resources workforce planning, salary administration, training, benefits administration, employee and labor relations, internal investigations, claims management, and ensure safety practices are upheld and followed. It is expected that the chosen candidate will maintain expert knowledge of industry trends and employment legislation and ensures Company’s compliance relevant to all states the Company operates in. The qualified candidate will also have a proven successful track record in an HR Manager role with minimal supervision, while maintaining excellent communication and reporting relationships with multiple departments, field management, and Company Personnel at all levels. This role is expected to be a proactive self-starter with a positive, can-do attitude, which is a must in order to embrace the Collaborative Team Culture environment. This position requires excellent analytical and organizational skills to assist the Human Resources Department and Company propel with upward momentum of growth and expansion on a national, multi-state level.
Key Essential Functions & Areas of Responsibilities:
- Fosters positive, team-collaborative culture efforts and integrate our Core Values and mission into our daily work life.
- Responsible for the overall HR administration, coordination, and execution of the Human Resources function for the states in the East Division to support the Field Operations Team.
- Maintains and stays relevant with all legal mandates and HR Best Practices as it relates the all aspects of the HR Functional areas.
- Handles the full spectrum of an employee life cycle from onboarding through separation.
- Supervises the process of New Hire Orientation & Onboarding for East Division and provides backup support to Senior HR Generalist/Corporate Recruiter as necessary.
- Supervises the Corporate Recruiter on recruitment strategies and initiatives such as interviews candidates for employment, verifies background information, and recommends qualified candidates to supervisors or managers.
- Supervises and oversee the Senior HR Generalist/Corporate Recruiter function or other HR Personnel as necessary.
- Develops and updates the HR SOPs for HR daily functional areas with streamlined efficiency.
- Works directly with department managers and supervisors to assist them in carrying out their responsibilities on personnel matters.
- Participates and conducts HR meetings, Operations Meetings and classroom/webinar trainings. Investigates reported violations of Company policies, documents findings, and recommends appropriate action to management.
- Reviews and controls the Temporary Worker contracts and negotiates terms to reflect the needs of the Field Operations.
- Makes sure they are accurate and in direct line with Westport Properties Policies and Procedures for employment.
- Gathers Data Analytics to conduct Compensation Studies to research and assist the DoHRC with Compensation Surveys for Job Analysis
- Prepares Turnover Data Report and works with the DoHRC to prepare Turn Over Analysis to present to Executive Leaders.
- Conducts exit interviews to determine reasons and trends behind terminations and makes recommendations for the Company’s overall Retention Strategies.
- Manages unemployment process including preparation of response forms and attendance at hearings.
- Conducts internal investigations with diplomacy, tact and strict confidentiality.
- Reviews proposed disciplinary action, advises managers and/or supervisors on proper action, and attends disciplinary counseling sessions when needed.
- Maintains liaison with labor attorney on all legal matters pertaining to human resources and keeps Leadership and Management Teams abreast of all legal matters.
- Assists the DoHRC in the administration of risk management and loss prevention programs for the fiscal protection of the Company’s assets as they pertain to Human Resources Policies and safety practices.
- Manages workers’ compensation program including reporting work-related accidents to workers’ compensation insurance carrier, following up on cases to obtain or provide information to carrier, and maintaining contact with employee for follow up as necessary.
- Manages Injury and Illness Prevention Programs in congruent with our Worker’s Compensation Claims Management Program.
- Reviews performance evaluations of all employees and makes recommendations where appropriate.
- Assists management in the annual review, preparation, and administration of wage and salary programs.
- Conducts and responds to Human Resources surveys regarding compensation, benefits, employee engagement, retention practices, and Company policies to make recommendations for Best HR practices.
- Be able to proficiently operate in an 100% electronic office environment, create and work with PDF fillable forms and completes e-filing as necessary.
- Works well and with high efficiency along the Payroll Team to handle all payroll related matters for HR data inputting and payroll reporting.
- Works well and with high efficiency along the HR Compliance Team to assist with Compliance monthly, quarterly and annual audits.
- Regular worksite attendance in accordance with Company’s Attendance Policy is required for this position.
- Other Duties As Assigned
- Periodic special projects and duties may be assigned based on Company need and requirements.
- Must be able to perform a variety of duties, often changing from one task to another, with frequent interruptions or distractions and within tight deadline.
- Ability to work flexible hours depending on various departmental project deadlines and/or Company events and sponsored programs (including a few late evenings and weekend events per year).
- Minimum 10 years of progressive Human Resources experience, of which at least 2 years in a Human Resources Manager Supervisory role
- Expert knowledge of daily HR Generalist and HR Manager functional areas
- Expert knowledge of current federal and state-specific employment and labor laws and human resources practices including but not limited to ADA, ADEA, CFRA, COBRA, DFEH, DOL, EDD, EEOC, ERISA, FLSA, FMLA, IRS, and USCI
- Must be resourceful to be able to research and track multi-state employment law and legislation
- Must have relevant experience required in matters related to WC Claims Handling/Management, LOA Management, Recruitment, Employee Relations, Internal Investigations, Handling Separations, and Analyzing HR Data Surveys
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite - Word, Excel, and Outlook with advanced skills in Excel highly preferred
- Expert Level of Data Analysis and Ad-hoc Reporting required
- Proficient in HRIS, Online Benefit Administration and Payroll Systems
- Ability to understand and convey Company Policies and relevant industry standards
- Ability to handle all HR Department matters with strict confidentiality and timeliness
- Ability to effectively communicate while exercising diplomacy, sound judgment and tact
- Ability to deal effectively with co-workers, department supervisors and managers, insurance brokers, insurance company representatives, attorneys, and other consultants and/or vendors
- Expert Level Proficiency in office and telephone skills are required
- Expert Level Proficiency in Computer Skills are required
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Proactive, self-starter, goal oriented and ability to work independently while still collaborating in an inter-departmental environment
- Maintain a positive, can-do attitude and composure in a Supervisory role
- Collaborative Team Player
- Ability and willingness to work remotely and flexible hours (including late evenings & some weekends) as necessary
- Must maintain and hold a valid State Driver’s License
- Uphold Company’s Vision, Mission Statement and Core Values
- High School degree required
- PHR, SPHR, SHRM-CP, or SHRM-SCP license/certification or has the ability to complete within 5 years of hire date.
- Preferred Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Human Resources Management or equivalent from an accredited college or university
- Relevant years of work experience and/or and Human Resources license/certification may substitute for the degree requirement
· Stationary Position: frequently remains stationary up to 90% of the time and sitting up to 8 hours in a day
- Move/Traverse: infrequently bend, stand, stoop and/or walk
- Carry Weight: infrequently carry weight and/or lift objects (light to heavy) weighing up to 10 pounds
- Hearing and Speech: frequently communicates with the ability to hear and talk on a regular basis with employees, coworkers, and all personnel matters; must be able to exchange accurate information in these situations
- Sight: frequent use of sight to detect images on computer, office documents, and office objects near and far
· Regular professional, office business setting
· Noise level ranges from low to moderate (if in office setting)
· Noise level ranges from moderate to high (if on construction worksite)
Benefits for Full-Time Employees
· Paid Vacation Time
· Paid Sick Time
· Paid Holidays
· 401(k) Eligibility
· Health Benefits: Medical, Dental, Vision
· Life Insurance Benefits
· Supplemental (Flexible Spending Accounts, Disability, Cancer/Critical Care, Hospitalization, Accident)
· Recognition of Hard Work and Exemplary Performance
· Clean, Air Conditioned, Friendly Working Environment
· Discretionary Bonus Based on Several Factors
Westport Properties, Inc. is a parent company of US Storage Centers (USSC) which provides at-will, equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, disability or genetics. Furthermore, Westport Properties, Inc. expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment and discrimination based on age, disability, color, genetics, gender identity, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status in compliance with federal, state and applicable local laws governing employment and labor law in every location in which the company conducts business. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
All Employees must pass a post-offer, pre-hire background screening which includes a multi-state criminal check and DMV Records in accordance with federal protected FCRA/FACTA Requirements for Investigative Consumer Reports, CA ICRA and other state mandated requirements for employment purposes. Furthermore, this job description is subject to change at any time. Nothing in this job description is meant to guarantee employment status and/or position. This job description neither restricts nor prevents management’s right to assign and/or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time of the essential functions. It does not proscribe or restrict the tasks that may be subsequently assigned.
Essential Job Function for Reasonable Work Accommodation
According to the American’s with Disabilities Act (ADA), Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) and the California Fair Employment and Housing Act (FEHA), employees must be able to perform the essential job functions with or without a reasonable accommodation. The Company will provide reasonable work accommodations to allow the employee to perform their essential job functions and duties as detailed above.